Saturday, February 10, 2007

55th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY

Thank you all for your best wishes on our 55th wedding anniversary. We went to Joe and Lisa's for dinner. Dan and Dawn were there. We had a sumptuous meal and a lot of good memories.
I came across something I wrote several years ago and I think it expresses my thoughts very well so I will repeat it here.
I have been thinking of how many gifts that God has given to me. The first was being born here in the United States. The United States is indeed the land of opportunity and plenty of everything. There are freedoms that you do not find anywhere else in the world. The opportunities for education and employment are unequaled anywhere else. We too often take being a citizen of this country foregranted and don't appreciate what it means.
The next gift was my parents. They saw me through long periods of sickness. They cared for me with a great deal of love. They provided me with an education both at Xavier High School and Manhattan College. This foundation stayed with me throughout my life. I wish I could say I was a good student but I did tend to goof off.
The next gift was being able to serve 5 years in the Ubited States Marine Corp. This truly gave me a sense of pride and accomplishment that stayed with me all my life. Engraved in my memory is arriving at Parris Island and wondering what I had gotten myself into and then the difference I felt in myself when I graduated from there. I became a Captain in the Marine Corp. I went to flight school in Pensacola and became a Naval Aviator with advanced training in helicopters. Semper Fi!
The greatest gift of all was meeting Eileen Cremin. From the very first date we were always with each other. Our whole lives have been tied together. We were married on February 9, 1952 and yesterday was our 55th anniversary. She has awed me all of those years with her love and her tenderness. Together we had eleven children. Mom provided a stable home fo our children. There was always the tenderness and love of a mother with a strong religous conviction. Mom provided for our every need. To this day Mom goes to church every day and prays for us.
Then there were eleven gifts. JoAnn, Joe, Mary, Mickey, Jean, Kate, Marge, Dan, Matt, Bren and Eileen. Each of you so different but also so much alike. I have so many memories of all of you. I can sit back and picture each of you as you were growing. When you have one child, you give all of your love to that one child. When you have more than one child, you do not take any love away from the first child, but your love grows to enfold each of them equally. Our lives have been filled with the love that has been returned by all of you. It is a great feeling knowing that each of you are living good lives and have given us 23 grand children and 2 great grand children. WOW!!
I didn't become rich and famous but I sure have had a full and rewarding life. I thank God every day for the life he has given to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home